Thanks to the Waldos and deadheads everywhere, calories don’t count (or at least don’t matter) today. Wishing aside, kale and chicken breast just don’t taste as good on 4/20. You need some heavy hitting noms to really satisfy. And here are the district’s best food options for when the munchies attack.
There is really no reason that you shouldn’t be at Rustic Tap Beer Garden today. The weather is awesome, they have some seriously finger-licking-good food and a great selection of cold beer. They also have late night munchies because they love you. What you’re munching:
- Fried Artichoke Hearts with herb aioli
- Frito Pie with chili, smoked gouda and green onions
- Loaded Sidewinder Fries with pulled pork, queso and green onions
- Late Night (until 2am) Kolaches and Smores
Ranch 616 is another Austin local jaunt. Serving up great margaritas on their patios, their food is true to Texas and dang good. What you’re munching:
- Divorced Quail with one buttermilk fried quail with ranchero, one sugar-cured and grilled quail with tomatillo, herbed Boursin cheese mashers and mix veggie saute
- Chicken Fried Petite Beef Shoulder Tenderloin with bacon and ranch cheese mashers, three garlic tiger shrimp, french green beans and tomatillo sauce
- 616 Parmesan truffle fries
- Quesadilla of the day stuffed with meat of the day, roasted corn, pica, black beans, ranch cheese and tomatillo crema
If you’ve been in Austin for a while, you know that Hut’s Hamburgers is legendary among born and bred Austinites. Since 1939, Hut’s has been slinging burgers in their iconic joint about as long as Willie has been rolling ’em up. No frills, no questions, good food and eye candy on the walls – it’s perfect for riding the wave and feeding those munchies. What you’re munching:
- The glorious Dagburger, with double meat and cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomatoes is an all-time favorite. But you’re also getting a half-and-half half order of hand-battered onion rings and house-cut fries, and a chocolate milkshake.
- If you aren’t into burgers (what the hell is wrong with you?), get the chicken fried steak (served with cream gravy, two sides and Texas toast) and an old-school root beer.
Frank & Angie’s
Frank & Angie’s offers some of the best pizza in town. Go and get a large pie, or sink into the couch and let them deliver the goods to you (central locations only, minimum order of $20). What you’re munching:
- Your favorite a “pie as you like it”
- The Scorsese with mozzarella, double pepperoni, pecorino romano cheese
- La Motta calzone with Italian meatballs and ricotta cheese
- Tiramisu with mascarpone layered with Kahlua-soaked ladyfingers, topped with Ghiradelli chocolate sprinkles and kissed with Hershey’s syrup
Kung Fu Saloon
Put those insatiable munchies to the test with Kung Fu’s happy hour deal. Until 7 pm you can chow down on half-price appetizers. What you’re munching:
- Kimchi Cheese Tots loaded with bacon, cheddar cheese, Korean ribeye, smoky queso, scallions.
- Cap’n Crunch Fried Pickles with Sriracha ranch (com’on you know a high person invented these little nuggets with a kick)
- Cheeseburger Eggrolls because it’s just necessary today.
- The OG Classic Chicken Sandwich with all natural chicken breast, kale sale, bread and butter pickles and Duke’s mayo
The Dogwood kitchen serves up pretty great Southern comfort food and it’s a great day to indulge. What you’re munching:
- Cajun chicken fritters with ranch and gravy
- Appetizer sampler with choice of three (fried pickles, wings, potato skins, mozzarella sticks or sliders)
- Chicken n’ Waffle Sliders with fried chicken, buttermilk waffles, seasonal fruit peach preserves, strawberry coulis, maple syrup (bacon optional)
- Dogwood burger with fried green tomato, bacon, queso, lettuce, onion, and pickle all on a jalapeño cheddar bun